I'm probably going to cook him something, or perhaps he will cook with me, but in general, this isn't really an eating out day, a gift day, or really a day for anything beyond our typical means. In fact, I'm pretty sure he'll be working all day until my bedtime, so perhaps I've got a date with the television.
But, in the spirit of today, I thought I'd provide an update on our wedding conundrum... to not have one and not have to feel awkward or waste money... or to have one as an insurance against my future, possibly-regretful self.
Yep, after much jabbering, we went with the latter option. So, folks, without going into details about why, the wedding is on!
Notes (sorry if the spacing is poor... I tried fixing it for quite a while):
- So far, we've secured a venue and thereby, a date. And since then, I've backed off a little bit. A lot bit.
- I've got the (DIY!) invitations picked out, ideas for (DIY) centerpieces, and have the favor idea all set. Lots of DIY and saving here, folks! Plus, the guest list will be pretty small. No need to splurge a ton on something I'm not completely sure I want! We're both relatively penny-pinching people, so money was never the issue... but still... (see note #7)
- We're not sure if we need anyone beyond my hobbyist friend and attendees, who will hopefully also take wedding day photos. But, we decided to focus on the engagement phots that we are planning on taking in March. Yes, that's early, but we want to get it out of the way and not take pictures in the blaring heat of summer (which, in California, seems like most of the year!). We are splurging a bit on these, but I think these are what will *last* over time.
(So I really need to keep up with my equilibrium goal! Yes, I know I haven't been updating on it, because I've made little progress. *sob* More to come.)
- When I went to resize my engagement ring, we basically already picked out the wedding bands. That was a surreal moment, for sure. Just need to go buy them at this point. I'm pleased to know that they are affordable.
- So far, I have not tried on a single dress. I will be doing this in a few weeks for formal photos, but in the meantime, I'm holding off on this. Mostly because I'm too lazy to go to a shop, and also because I fear that my small budget -- to rent or buy -- won't be enough to make this hopeless case look good. Hah! Also, I have such body self-esteem issues each time because my dress size is several sizes larger than any other clothing I wear from any store. How?!!!
- The date of our wedding is a lucky date, according to the Chinese almanac... and also doesn't land on Sabbath territory. It's also a long weekend for most people... except me, because my company is kind of crazy like that. And this date is... November 11!
- No honeymoon has been confirmed yet, or even when it will happen. However, I have never been out of the country and am pretty much convinced that I need this more than a wedding.
- On a less fun note, it seems as though my possible future children have already been renounced. Thanks for showing me how conditional love is.
- I've been learning a lot about culture and religion lately (from the reading I resolved to do in 2012), and this has been pretty fun. Any effort I make to address my ignorances is satisfying, indeed. I'm pretty sure if other people did this as well, #8 wouldn't be an issue.
- Did you know that you can apply for your marriage license online? This made me laugh.
I'll probably end up posting some of the engagement photos -- anything else?
Happy Valentine's Day -- or Singles Awareness Day as it was for me for many, many years -- one and all!