Back in June, I did a mid-year progress report of my "resolutions." If you keep any to-do list, you can probably sympathize with the satisfaction of crossing off items, and these resolutions are very similar. Here is my brief update on all:
- PR - The only PR I might be able to BS is for trail half-marathons... 2:05, anyone? Eff, anyone who reads my blog regularly knows that I am disappointed as heck about my lackluster year, which was probably caused by not running enough races (<-- which was caused by repaying upwards of $15k of student loans)
- Finish dissertation - completed before last update
- Start budgeting - I started doing this in September, and while I still "eyeball" a lot of what I spend, I have made a lot of progress. So, I DID "start" budgeting... to be continued better next year, hopefully.
- Pay down debt - I will be doing this before March, and since I already have the money set aside, I will consider this basically done.
- Employment - As of this writing, it's close but I can't declare victory yet. And I have a feeling I won't be getting off that easy.
- Retirement (saving for) - No progress since the last update... probably not until #5 is completed. I guess I'll be working unti I'm 80.
(Some highlights that came toward the end of the year that should be noted: the birth of my niece, some aspects of finishing school, moving, and stuff that I will elaborate upon soon.)
I want 2012 to be the antithesis of this year. I will embrace all the changes that have come along, both in routines and in the way I see myself and other people. The biggest lesson I have learned from 2011 is to live in the present, and that means assumptions don't work since they are based on the past.
So in terms of "resolutions," I have added a few new ones: