Thursday, April 28, 2011

She Runs LA

EVENT: She Runs LA
DATE: Wed-Thu, April 27/28, 2011
LOCATION: Los Angeles, CA (more like Pasadena, CA)
FINISH TIME: 01:06:24

After yesterday's very long and stressful day, I kind of cringed when I realized that I had only a 24-hour window (4 PM April 27th - 4 PM April 28th) to complete the Nike She Runs LA virtual 10k.  I had a promo code from Run Eat Repeat, so I signed up and had the tank mailed to me.  I finally got the tank yesterday evening, along with tickets to the post-race event at the Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles.  I had indicated I wouldn't be going, but I wound up with tickets anyway.  Unfortunately, I am going out of town tomorrow, so I won't be attending the after-party.

Since Fargo Marathon is in a few weeks, I also needed to get a 20-miler in, so I thought I would run 6.2 + 13.8 miles this morning and kill two birds with one stone.

Unfortunately, lately, my "throwing" has been a bit off.  The power was out at my house all last night.  I had to stay at school late to meet with my chair, so as I got home, it was getting dark, and dinner was kind of out of the question.  I had a slice of orange and mango that was sitting on the table.  Along with being too exhausted to be hungry, things just weren't going my way.  But it was actually one of the best nights I can remember -- imagine my parents, myself, my little sister, and pup sitting around in the living room with flashlights until bedtime.  It was weird, but actually pretty cool because I got to invite my parents to my graduation and explain to them this whole crazy process I just went through.

I guess I was still on an adrenaline high, because I slept very poorly that night in spite of being exhausted.  I had plugged in my Garmin, hoping the power would come back on sometime during the night and charge it enough for 3+ hours of running.

Needless to say, I woke up hungry, tired, headache-y, and unmotivated.  But I took to the streets, anyway, with salt tablets and gels on hand.  I trudged through 3 hilly miles when I realized that 20 miles just wasn't happening, and even the 10k I needed to do would be a challenge.  The bright sun already started beating on my back, and my legs felt weak. 

That's when I decided to start taking walk breaks.  And actually, it felt really nice, with the cool morning breeze countering the sun.  So I ran the easy parts and walked the other parts.  There was no shame in it... I felt that I needed a break from pushing myself.  I just didn't want to DNF (did not finish), even in a virtual race. 

And while I didn't do the remaining 13.8, I did cover a total of 7.5 miles, which was good enough for me.  I haven't figured out how I will make up for a lack of a 20-miler in preparation for my marathon in 3-ish weeks, but I am going out of town this weekend and have another hectic week next week.  So maybe I can wing it?  I'm sure I'll be up for more long runs later, but I am missing my window of opportunity to safely do the 20-miler, and in a way, I'm okay with that.  Maybe less is more when it comes to training for this marathon, since I just did one two months ago and reached a peak of 16 miles since then. *excuses*

Since my Nike+ thing wouldn't find the sensor (I haven't used it in quite a while), I was happy I had a backup measure!


  1. Wait you never emailed me the code. That tank is super cute. :(

  2. cute tank and great job getting out there, when you werent feeling it

  3. Sorry about the tough run. Congrats on the finish! I love that top.

  4. Good luck in your final preparations for Fargo. It was barely 40 degrees here in MN today, and we had snow flurries this morning, so I hope the weather improves by the time you get to the upper Midwest! :)