This marks the return of the "Weekly Workouts" series of posts that I was using to log my marathon training last year. Now that the Holiday Bootie-Buster Challenge (HBBC) is over, I decided to continue these posts if for no other reason than tracking mileage (you can see this at the BOTTOM/footer of this blog).
I started off last marathon's cycle with a mindset of desperation. I was coming back from a bad race and wanted to do everything I could to make the next one better. I did not implement everything I said I would try long-term, as I will outline here:
- I totally didn't last with Pilates very long, and my yoga stint lasted maybe a few months. I will still do some of the moves or even the whole DVD once in a while, so I guess not all was lost.
- And then there was ChiRunning, which did not work for me except to bring more awareness to myself when I was running blatantly in poor form. I figured out that my own stride (with awareness) worked best for me.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
On the other hand, I HAVE been doing things to help myself out this cycle:
- Healthier eating: Been mainly doing this since the new year. Basically, this entails me making SURE I get more veggies in my diet and eating fewer decadent desserts. Haven't been perfect, but working on it!
- More regular vitamin consumption. Currently taking: 1 iron, 2 glucosamine, 1 women's multi-vitamin. Yes, I just told the entire blog world about my personal vitamin consumption.
- Increased strength training, particularly of the arms, legs, abs. I have a separate post (or maybe more than one) coming at some point. Hopefully sooner than later. It will be a good one... promise!
- Wii Fit: Okay, so this hasn't apparently helped me any, but it's SUPPOSED to help me improve my balance. I am definitely going to do a write-up about this once I use it long enough to say something useful.
- Regular stretching/rolling. I have been ensuring that I stretch each day, especially those that involve me running. Thanks to Sister K, I got a mini "The Stick" for Christmas and am using it with increased frequency. I am also using the gym foam roller, as well as "The Ukrainian"'s.
Okay, enough of these details. You'll see enough of them week-by-week as I log my training for LA Marathon. Note that I am NOT following a training program this time around. I won't spend a lot of time entertaining the reason for this; basically, I didn't see the desired results with it last time, and it was not worth all the additional strain.
This Week's Workouts:
Note: I am using Saturday as the beginning of the week this time since HBBC ended on a Friday.
Saturday - 10 mi @ 10:10 pace (recap here)
Sunday - rest; stretching/"The Stick"
Monday - 25 minutes of strength training; 20 minutes vigorous Jacob's Ladder; 1.5 mi run (.25 @5.8mph; 5 min @7.2mph, 2.5 min @7.4mph, 2.5 min @7.6 mph); 15 min Wii Fit, stretching/rolling
Tuesday - 5 mi (maybe a bit more) -- not planning on using my Garmin for any weekday runs
Stomach issues but ran it solidly (without stopping). Note for next time: have a more easily digested lunch.
Wednesday - 30 min strength training; 30 min Versa-climber/Jacob's Ladder
No running due to sore knee. Low-impact to the rescue!
Thursday - 6 mi - street route w/big hill toward the end
Getting through this run without stopped (besides lights) was a miracle. Was extremely fatigued last night all of a sudden in spite of eating/sleeping well. No other symptoms but body was definitely weak during this run (and especially afterward!!).
Friday - 30 min strength, 20 min upright bike
Weekly Mileage: 22.5