Sunday, November 22, 2009
Above: Cranberry-Walnut Bagels!!! I had no idea that bagels were make-able. They require boiling, so yeah... These actually came out similar to actual bagels, except I think a lighter flour would have made them fluffier. Also, I don't know if I will ever be able to use yeast without having a slight yeast-y smell in the end-product. But the chewy outer part and soft inner part did come out as expected. Also, don't make fun of the less-than-perfect shape. Probably should have made fewer ones that were larger (9 instead of the 12 we made). That's home-made for ya!!
Above: A "texture" shot. Yes, I do realize that I need a better camera, but I rely on my phone camera for everything since my actual one is a little too bulky for everyday carrying...
Also.... Topricin is hosting a "worst race photo" contest. I had trouble picking out just ONE bad race picture, but if you click the link below, you will be able to see which one "took the cake," so to speak. This picture received quite the acclaim from my sisters, and again, I've taken many bad photos.
I will be writing a review once the samples that Topricin promised me arrive and get tried out on whatever pain I'm having during the time...
Vote for me by clicking here (I'm Photo #7): http://bit.ly/2eX3FC
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
- running song: The Veronicas - "Untouched" -- I first heard this song during a spinning class that was taking place in my gym. It really gets me pumped if you can get past the first few verses!
- cereal: Quaker Oatmeal Squares -- It has a nice touch of brown sugar! A 3/4 c. serving has 210 calories and 6g of protein, which is filling and GREAT when allowed to sit in vanilla soymilk for a while. Yep, I've been living on a lot of cereal lately.
- makeup product: Clinique Quick Eyes Cream Shadow -- lured by one of those free-with-purchase deals, I chose this in the green color. This works really well when I'm too lazy to use powders. It is shimmery and stays great, even on my eyelids which tend to become oily. It also removes very easily.
- lotion: Cetaphil Daily Advanced -- With the changing weather, my face suddenly decided that it wanted to shed its skin (and lip, agh) even though I lotion up each AM and PM. One of the things that finally stopped it was this lotion. It was a bit on the pricey side (more than $8 at Target), but everytime I put it on, it just feels soooo good, unlike the other lotions I use. It has a very light pleasant scent that really wouldn't bother anyone. My face has become much softer since I started using it. It is amazing.... I'm switching over to this brand as my other lotions run out.
- drink: red plum icy slush with boba from Tapioca Express. It tastes like a salted red plum... a little salty, a little sweet, and a little sour -- yummmm.
Off to San Diego to take care of some school business! I am excited to be taking some time off next week to celebrate Thanksgiving! I have been incredibly fatigued lately for no real reason. I must be burnt out (again!). Maybe this is just a tapering thing, but I doubt it.
Saturday, November 14, 2009
Yes, I was even willing to humiliate myself and post a sample recording. It just takes a digital microphone or web-cam (which has one built-in) to play!
Friday, November 13, 2009
Above: Waiting to pick up "The Ukrainian" from work. Thank goodness for decent (high 60's, low 70's) weather that allows me to run during the day without dying!!
Above: First mile; I have had an abdominal strain (which I thought was a hernia) this week, in spite of my best efforts to rest it before this big run. So I found myself unable to carry the extra weight of my phone in my shorts pocket and dropped it off in the car.
Above: We went to Hometown Buffet afterward, and I had trouble finishing this plate because I was feeling so nauseated. Definitely didn't get the $$$ worth or regain the four pounds that went away while running... =(
This run went so slowly that I'm embarrassed to report the total time. It was going well for the first 14-15-ish miles, but we had to take walk breaks after that point because I was exhausted and just could barely go on. I felt bad for slowing my partner down, but he didn't take off like I had suggested. My hurting abs made it hard for me to breathe or push too hard, and I think in the earlier miles we were running at 9-min mile or less pace, which is not my thing... as was seen by my later crash. I have never felt so bad after a run before... hurting everywhere, feeling nauseated, and totally out of it. Hope it was just a Friday the 13th fluke. And to think I had wanted to try to do more than 20... that would have been downright impossible! On the bright side, nobody stole my water bottle this time...
Regardless, this now begins my "taper" period. I'm going to spend this time strengthening my core and hopefully getting over my weird injury that I don't even know how I got.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
You will see to the right the final version of my Halloween costume. Not the best pic, but we didn't take too many. Can you guess what we were? "The Ukrainian" and I assembled our costumes from various bits and pieces that we scoured the following stores: Target, CVS, K-Mart, the mall (which includes all the trendy stores), 99-cent storeS, Jo-Ann, Michaels, Wal-Mart, Party City, and Rite-Aid.
I must also publicly thank my mommy for saving me from having to sew our gloves and boots! She got them done in minutes, while my failed attemptS took hours.
Halloween is the beginning of the holiday season in my mind. I went to the mall the other day and noticed that everything was glittery and Christmas-y. I was diggin' it, but I'm sure once the Christmas music goes on repeat on the radio, I will be wishing for some normalcy. But for now, I have an excuse to bake more (just made a quick batch of gingersnaps for "The Ukrainian's" co-workers last week). =)
In other news, I've been a bit stressed lately. This is not necessarily due to work, but the combination of work, school, and some consultancy projects I'm doing on the side are taking their toll. I've also been working on an important/special project this week that I HOPE succeeds (if you have some extra luck or prayers to send, it is THAT important to me that I ask that you share!). More disclosure on that later, I suppose.
Finally, I am doing my second 20+-miler next week. Yay?