Chandra from Chandra's Shenanigans modeled a challenge after Run to Finish's Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge (HBBC), called the March Bootie Buster Challenge (MBBC).
Points are awarded for the following:
- 1 point per mile walked/ran
- 1 point per 15 minutes of “other” cardio (ie spinning, kickboxing, step, etc…)
- 1 point per 15 minutes weight training or pilates
- 1 point per 30 minutes of yoga or stretching or abs
Healthy Eating Points:
- 1 point for every 3 servings of fruit/vegetable eaten
- 1 point per 24oz water drank (max of 16oz can come from tea/coffee)
Unfortunately, I had racked up pretty much 40 points within the past 48 hours prior to today. I guess they don't count. With tapering, I don't know if I will be able to accumulate too many points, but at least this will motivate me to do other cardio and exercise.
Week 1 (Sunday - Saturday) / Cumulative = 71 pts.
- 3/1: walked 1 mi while out (1 pt); various fruit/veggies eaten (1 pt); water (3 pts) = 5 pts
* Note: This was a rest day.
- 3/2: ran 6 mi (6 pts); 15 min various str trng (1 pt); fruit/veg (1 pt); water (4 pts) = 12 pts
* Note: Yes, I drink a ton of water.
- 3/3: ran 6 mi (6 pts); 15 min on weight machines (1 pt); fruit/veg (1 pt); water (4 pts) = 12 pts
* Note: Nearly same workout... bleh! Had no fan so sweated a truckload.
- 3/4: ran 6 mi (6 pts); 15 min various str trng (1 pt); fruit/veg (3 pts); water (4 pts) = 14 pts
* Note: Oatmeal and fruit/veggies (not same meal) sicken my stomach. Maybe I have IBS. =/
- 3/5: 1 hr elliptical (4 pts); 30 min abs/stretching (1 pt); 15 min playing (jump rope, hula-hoop, fake b-ball and volleyball) (1 pt); fruit/veg (2 pts); water (3 pts) = 11 pts
* Note: Foot arch has been aching for a few days, and toe issues galore. =/
- 3/6: bike 45 min (3 pts) , ran 4 mi (4 pts); walk 2 mi (2 pts); f/v (2 pts); water (3 pts) = 13 pts
* Note Approximate times/distances as part of BBR competition; walk was evening shopping.
- 3/7: fruit/veg (1 pt); water (3 pts) = 4 pts
* Note: This was a day of rest.
Week 2 (Sunday - Saturday) / Total = 81 pts. / Cumulative = 152 pts.
- 3/8: ran 2 mi (2 pts); walked 5 mi (5 pts); fruit/veg (1 pt); water (3 pts) = 11 pts
* Note: Was supposed to run 12 miles but felt drained. Will run a bit tomorrow to compensate.
- 3/9: ran 6 mi (6 pts); 15 min str trng (1 pt); f/v (2 pts); water (4 pts) = 13 pts
- 3/10: 1 hour of various cardio (4 pts); f/v (2 pts); water (4 pts) = 10 pts
* Note: Very tired today for some reason.
- 3/11: ran 6 mi (6 pts); 15 min bike/stretch/wts (1 pt combined); f/v (3 pts); w (3 pts) = 13 pts
* Note: I was trying extra hard to get fruits/veggies in today. 'Twas too many, I think.
- 3/12: ran 8 mi (8 pts); f/v (2 pts); w (4 pts) = 14 pts
* Note: Longer note today... "The Ukrainian" has gone snowboarding for a few days, so I feel like I have nobody except my blog to keep me company! The fruit/veggie count for today is projected, but I doubt it will be any more than that. Had to run in the middle of the day, as I have a meeting during my normal late afternoon gym time. I have been soooo drained lately in spite of all the fruit and veggies I've been getting, better-than-usual sleep patterns, relatively less sugar, and no caffiene. Last night, I took an iron pill along with my glucosamine and multivitamin and slept from 9-5:45... it felt sooo good, better not get too used to that. I might take iron for a few days just to make sure that's not the issue. Oh yeah, and apparently I need to start looking for another place to live this summer. The place was perfect, but she offered it to another person because they were staying for a shorter time, as this was her first time subleasing. If it is any consolation (not that it is... still crushed), she said I'd be a perfect tenant and that she would be in contact with me at the end of July, which is too late. Depression mounting... I need to sleep for 1243 hours now. =(
- 3/13: 1 hour of FitMoves/weights & 15 min elliptical (5 pts); f/v (2 pts); w (4) = 11 pts
- 3/14: 1 hour biking (4 pts); f/v (2 pts); w (3 pts) = 9 pts
* Note: Biked to the mall, and Indian dinner. =] Still tired for some reason.
Week 3 (Sunday - Saturday) / Total = 72 pts. / Cumulative = 224 pts.
- 3/15: f/v (2 pts); w (4 pts) = 6 pts
* Note: I did absolutely nothing, and it was weird and somewhat painful.
- 3/16: ran 6 mi (6 pts); 30 min strength (2 pts); f/v (2 pts); w (4 pts) = 14 pts
- 3/17: ran 3 mi (3 pts); 30 min elliptical/bike (2 pts); f/v (2 pts); w (4 pts) = 11 pts
- 3/18: ran 6 mi (6 pts); f/v (3 pts); w (4 pts) = 13 pts
- 3/19: 1 hr elliptical (4 pts); 30 min strength (2 pts); f/v (1 pt); w (3 pts) = 10 pts
- 3/20: f/v (2 pts); w (4 pts) = 6 pts
- 3/21: f/v (2 pts); w (4 pts) = 6 pts
Week 4 (Sunday - Saturday) / Total = 80 pts. / Cumulative = 304 pts.
- 3/22: ran 26 mi (26 pts); f/v (1 pt); w (4 pts) = 31 pts
- 3/23: f/v (2 pts); w (2 pts) = 4 pts
* Note: Yep, tons of resting lately. I went on a mini-vacation with "The Ukrainian" that has involved a 4.5 hour car ride and no gym to use foam rollers for my sore legs. Surprisingly, I never got the post-race ravenousness that is typical of me. Anyway, water consumption is hard when away from home.
- 3/24: f/v (1 pt); w (2 pts) = 3 pts
* Note: Although the points are low, I feel infinitely better today, as walking is no longer painful. I think about three-quarters of my soreness is gone, and the huge chafe mark on my outer thigh is scabbed over and less painful (TMI, I know!). I can't wait to go the gym tomorrow!! P.S. Swearing in people is nerve-racking, but cool!
- 3/25: walked 1 mi during lunch break (1 pt); ran 2 mi (2 pts); 25 min elliptical + 10 min bike + 10 min alternating jump rope/pushups (3 pts); 15 min strength (1 pt); f/v (2 pts); w (3 pts) = 12 pts
* Note: I went on a walk because I wanted to get some stuff to bake with tonight. This was my first run since Sunday, and I kept it short and sweet. I felt mostly fine running at a 10 min/mi pace. I wanted to go faster by the end but didn't want to push it since I did still feel that my legs, although not sore, seemed fatigued. I think I was fatigued over all, as I had to lower the weight machines 5-10 lbs and felt more tired than usual throughout everything. It's okay; this is the fastest recovery I've had so far from a marathon. Not to say that I'm recovered, but I can forsee myself running normally by next week. I will hold back on true speed work until that following week. I can't wait too long, though, as I have races in early May that need to be trained for, but at the same time, I don't want to hurt myself like I did last year. Oh yeah, and I used a foam roller today finally. Doing that the day after the marathon hurts (in that good way, I guess), but since I waited until day 3, it felt quite good and relaxing.
- 3/26: ran 3 mi (3 pts); biked 15 min (1 pt); 15 min elliptical (1 pt); 30 min strength (2 pts); f/v (2 pts); w (3 pts) = 12 pts
- 3/27: ran 4 mi (4 pts); 35 min FitMoves + 20 min elliptical + 10 min stretch (3 pts); f/v (2 pts); w (3 pts) = 12 pts
- 3/28: biked 45 min (3 pts); f/v (1 pt); w (2 pt) = 6 pts
* Note: Baked the same thing as I did for my co-workers the other day (cherry pie filling bread) because "The Ukrainian" liked it so much. Ended up making a pasta dinner and then biked over to Fry's, though it was dark by then. I'm getting pretty comfortable on my bike now, as I've noticed at how close I ride to him without fearing that I'd ram into his bike. Bike tour, here I come! Also, I've had a pretty active week. We'll see how this goes next week as I start living out of my trunk. I wonder how my reassignment will go. On my last day at my other job, I was taken out to lunch and managed to eat like 1/4 of the huge salad at Charlie Brown's. When we got back, they got the whole department gathered with a cake and "Is Elvis Alive?" CD (it's an inside joke within our department). I never knew how many people I helped until they came out to thank me. Anyway, I'm meeting someone for a bed/bath in her apt. She seems really nice. The only bummers are that the laundry is vended and the the room unfurnished. But the location is perfect, so "The Ukrainian" told me that if I think it is nice enough, I should just take it. He (and even the girl who could potentially be my roommate) offered to help me look for furniture. We might be going to Ikea today to see how much beds are. The only other things I might need are a desk/chair, hangers, sheets, and towels. But for now, I am just going to browse and see how the commute goes.
Week 5 (Sunday - Tuesday) / Total = 27 pts. / GRAND TOTAL = 331 pts.
- 3/29: walked 1 mi while out (1 pt); f/v (1 pt); water (3 pts) = 5 pts
- 3/30: ran 7 mi (7 pts); 15 min strength (1 pt); f/v (2 pts); w (3 pts) = 13 pts
* Note: I don't know why, but I felt really good running today. It's like running is suddenly fun again... not that it got un-fun, but for once I wasn't tired or struggling. Probably the waking up at 4:30 am had something to do with my numbness. On another note, I got an e-mail back from my thesis reader/chair saying "almost done. please correct the minor errors, and send the final clean version." I opened the attached draft, and there were really just tiny corrections such as putting a word in past tense, deleting extra spacing, and adding more detail to just one statistical statement. Is she for real?
- 3/31: ran 3 mi (3 pts); biked 15 min (1 pt); f/v (2 pts); w (3 pts) = 9 pts